Molding and Making
Posted on January 26, 2012 18:26 pm CST
Here's a list of materials you need to gather to make bouncing polymer balls:
- borax (found in the laundry section of the store)
- cornstarch (found in the baking section of the store)
- white glue (e.g., Elmer's glue - makes an opaque ball) or blue or clear school glue (makes a translucent ball)
- warm water
- food coloring (optional)
- measuring spoons
- spoon or craft stick to stir the mixture
- 2 small plastic cups or other containers for mixing
- marking pen
- watch with a second hand
- metric ruler
- zip-lock plastic baggie
- Label one cup 'Borax Solution' and the other cup 'Ball Mixture'.
- Pour 2 tablespoons warm water and 1/2 teaspoon borax powder into the cup labeled 'Borax Solution'.
- Stir the mixture to dissolve the borax.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of glue into the cup labeled 'Ball Mixture'.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the borax solution you just made and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Do not stir.
- Allow the ingredients to interact on their own for 10-15 seconds and then stir them together to fully mix.
- Once the mixture becomes impossible to stir, take it out of the cup and start molding the ball with your hands.
- The ball will start out sticky and messy, but will solidify as you knead it.
- Once the ball is less sticky, go ahead and bounce it!
- You can store your plastic ball in a sealed ziploc bag when you are finished playing with it.
- Don't eat the materials used to make the ball or the ball itself.
- Wash your work area, utensils, and hands when you have completed this activity.
In your Fire Bible for Kids turn to page 969
Read Jeremiah 18:1-6
While reading start steps 1 - 9
After reading this passage you can expond that when we beome christians God will begin to mold us into what he wanted us to be.
You can also state the following if you need more help. When you accept Christ into your life he begins to work in you
By removing your sin and making your holy. You start to decide to do what He would have you do instead of what you want to do
He starts creating you into something that He can use
This is the same when Christ comes into your family. He comes into your family and starts to mold and make your family into what he wants you to be
Just like I have been molding this mixture into a ball Christ is going to mold you into something He wants you to be